Cold winter weather and chapped lips seem to go hand in hand, so this simple recipe is a great one to have in the house (plus it’s made with ingredients that are probably in your cabinet). It’s perfect for lips, but it also is nice for dry flaky hands.
1 tbs. coconut oil*
1 tbs. raw honey
1 tbs. sugar
3 drops lavender oil
*I prefer using fractionated “always liquid” coconut oil for this recipe, but you can use regular coconut oil, or even avocado or olive oil if it’s what you have handy.
This recipe can easily be scaled to make a larger quantity.
1. Melt coconut oil in the microwave if needed to bring it to a liquid state.
2. Combine coconut oil, raw honey, sugar, and lavender. The coconut oil will not mix in with the honey and sugar all the way, but that’s not an issue.
3. Scoop out a small amount, roughly a teaspoon, and apply to lips. Scrub the lips gently with the mixture and then let sit on lips for a few minutes before rinsing off.
4. After rinsing apply a thin layer of coconut oil on lips before sealing with a good lip balm.
5. Enjoy your soft and moisturized lips!
This recipe is wonderfully moisturizing and healing, since honey is a natural humectant, which means it draws moisture to the skin. Coconut oil is also extremely moisturizing, and lavender oil is soothing, healing, and has antibacterial properties. All of the ingredients are safe for ingestion as well, in case you get a bit in your mouth.
If using on hands, scoop a couple tablespoons on to freshly washed hands and scrub hands, then let sit for a minute before rinsing off. After drying hands, put on a nice thick hand lotion (I’m partial to Kiss My Face’s olive and aloe moisturizer). Also, be sure to always wear gloves outside- this cold weather just sucks the moisture out of skin!