I absolutely love Panera, and their black bean soup is one of my favorites. This recipe comes very close to theirs; it's easy to make and completely delicious. Serve it with some crusty bread and a green salad for a nice fall dinner.
- 1 Medium Onion, small dice
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 stalks of Celery, finely chopped
- ¼ Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth (more or less as needed)*
- 2 Cans Black Beans (15 oz), rinsed
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ tsp Salt
- about 1 tsp Lemon Juice (optional)
*I really love Superior Touch's No Chicken Base. We have it at the store and I use it all the time when making rice or soups. It's also much more economical than buying canned or boxed broth, and it's vegetarian too!