This recipe won Honorable Mention as well as our Kid's Choice Award for our Gluten Free Baking Contest! The recipe was made by Tommi Sellers and was absolutely delicious! Please forgive our poor photography!
For the Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes:
1 and 3/4 cups Bob’s Red Mill Baking Flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
3/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, if using frozen do not thaw first
1/4 cup butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
For the Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
(1) 8 ounce block full-fat cream cheese, very soft
5 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon lemon extract (optional, but really amps up the lemon flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl combine 1 and 3/4 cups of the Bob’s Red Mill Baking Flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a separate bowl combine the sour cream, and 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice; whisk well to combine and set aside.
- In a large bowl using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds. Add in the granulated sugar and beat until well combined. Add in the egg and mix well. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Add in 1/flour mixture and mix until just combined (this should take about 5 seconds). Add the sour cream mixture and mix until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the floured blueberries (and any excess flour in the bowl) and lemon zest.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 16-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a medium bowl using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese on medium-speed until smooth and creamy. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add in the powdered sugar and lemon juice, beating until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract, lemon extract (if using); beat until smooth.